Miss W -->

 
   Saturday, August 14, 2004  

Back in the saddle again

So yesterday was a crazy day! My husband's grandma (81) had her hip replaced yesterday. She fell and broke it just before July 4, they put in a pin, and instead of continuing to heal, the pin started to come out. So, new hip. Which also explains why I didn't post about the results from my doctors' appointments after Blogger ate the first one.

The first appointment was with genetics. Because my father-in-law's side of the family are Jewish, my husband had to be tested for all the Jewish panel disorders. Thankfully, he had a completely normal male karyotype and is not a carrier of any of those diseases. Then we moved on to me. I have a normal female karyotype (this may be the only time in my life someone calls me normal, so I'm flaunting this as much as possible!). I do not have any of the clotting disorders she tested for, however I am a carrier for one. I want to say it was MTHFR, but I just can't remember. From past experience with this geneticist's office, they will likely send me a copy of the results in the mail. They have already photocopied all of their results and given them to my OB.

The second appointment, about 30 minutes later, was a consultation with Dr. P. (As an aside, the All-Knowing Receptionist Goddess does, in fact, exist and goes by the name of Jodi.) All of Dr. P's tests came back clear (except for carrying one clotting disorder -- turns out some of the tests were ordered by both doctors). He then turned the conversation to determining where we go from here.

He first offered me a sonohystergram and endometrial biopsy, but said that he felt that if I had significant uterine problems, they would have noticed something in the multiple transvaginal ultrasounds (I swear to you, for MONTHS, Walter the ultrasound tech and his lovewand were getting more play from me than my husband) and the two D&Cs performed by Dr. S (he's head of obstetrics at the hospital for obstetrics in the area) would have shown something. So he really feels that it is unlikely that I would have anything serious.

Since the choice was up to me and since I know from reading many blogs and talking to a friend of mine who is also TTC (and failing miserably due to male-factor IF), that these two tests are quite painful. My husband wouldn't say whether he wanted me to have them done or not and so, I made what could prove to be a bad decision. Right now, I don't want them. I'm just not ready for more pain in that area and further delays in trying again.

Dr. P. told me he felt it was a wise decision. So, he put me on Prometrium, 100 mg twice a day, from ovulation until I bleed. He then said something that caused quite a problem for me.

He said, "I think you need to just hop right back on the horse and ride it again."

After it came out of his mouth, he realized how bad it sounded and immediately busied himself shuffling papers in my file. My husband became entranced with the pattern of the Persian rug on the floor. And I, ever the grown-up, covered my mouth and giggled like a 12-year-old.

Once the decision had been made that we were going to try again and I had been written a prescription, we made our plan. If I become pregnant and miscarry a third time, I am going to have the biopsy and the sonohystergram. I will also immediately be referred to an RE. And this time, genetic testing of the fetal tissue will be done.

In the car on the way home, my husband and I decided where we think we will draw the line, should we come to it. We have decided that if I do need to see an RE, we will cycle with him through at least one pregnancy. If it is unsuccessful, then we are out of the game. We've already discussed adoption, have paperwork from two agencies, know what country we think we'd like to adopt from...

In short, for someone like me who always wants to know what is coming next, who has to at least have some sense of control over things, well, this is as good as it gets.

   [ posted  @ 7:15 PM ] [ Post a Comment ] [ View Comments (0) ]
   [ E-mail this Post ]



  Comments about my post, "Back in the saddle again":


 
[=
Archives=]
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
February 2010
May 2010
June 2010
March 2011
April 2011
August 2011


[=Links=]
A Little Pregnant
Barren Mare
Broken or Not
BrooklynGirl
Chez Miscarriage
Fractured Fairytale
Hardscrabble
Here Be Hippogriffs
Horkin Ramblings
Never Ever Late
One Pink Line
The RE's Muse
Scrambled Eggs
So Close
Uncommon Misconception
The Unproductive Reproductive
Wasted Birth Control


[=Powered By=]


[=Designed By=]


Customized by Miss W
Scripts / Code by "Mr. W"


Send Miss W. E-Mail!